[Live-devel] live555 question

McLachlan, Donald (IC) donald.mclachlan at canada.ca
Wed Apr 26 07:43:19 PDT 2017

Hi Ross,

>From that link:

> Outputting QOS statistics
>
> Use the "-Q" option to output QOS ("quality of service") statistics about the data stream (when the program exits). These statistics
> include the (minimum, average, maximum) bitrate, packet loss rate, and inter-packet gap.

Thanks, that looks promising. I'll look into the example code later today.

"inter-packet gap" is an excellent start. Ultimately I think we'd like to measure end-to-end latency (aka one-way delay), and from that learn the min/max latency. I saw in the FAQ about the presentation time "changing" once the first Sender Report is received. Therefore I'm hoping that after reception of the first SR  one can then compare 'the RTP packet timestamp + SR timestamp correction factor'  to the receiver system time (yes both ends with be synchronized to UTC) and thus obtain the packet latency.

Given that the data flow is across a one-way link (and there is no return path) the sender will not receive Receiver Reports from the receiver.  Off the top of your head, do you know whether this will cause any problems?

Thanks again,
Don