[Live-devel] H264 interlaced video playing too quickly for buffers to keep up

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Dec 13 10:44:17 PST 2017

> My team and I have created a video streaming application using MPEG2 TS with H264 video. When we’re not using the trick mode both progressive and interlaced videos will play correctly, but when using trick mode to play at anything other than 1x we run into issues with interlaced video. The interlaced video will display the first frame and that’s it. We’ve also noticed that when running Wireshark that we’re getting a huge number of MPEGTS packets fairly quickly, so our assumption is that we’re sending over ~90 seconds of video in about 4 seconds. We’re wondering if you might be able to point us in the right direction to fixing this issue.

I suggest first using our “testMPEG2TransportStreamTrickPlay” application (see <http://live555.com/liveMedia/transport-stream-trick-play.html>) to demonstrate ’trick play’ operations using pre-recorded Transport Stream files.  (This application uses the same code that our server uses to implement ‘trick play’.)

This will give you a repeatable test that you can use to figure out what’s happening with your Transport Stream files.