[Live-devel] Transport Streams

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Mar 8 13:41:34 PST 2017

>     Thank you very much for your response. I was able to get this to work with UDP multicast by  changing the video sink to BasicUDPSink in the transport stream test. VLC has no problem decoding the transport stream now. This actually is what we are interested in anyway since our customers use almost exclusively UDP multicast.

Sending Transport Stream data over raw-UDP is OK; however, by not using RTP/UDP, your receivers will not be able to properly handle out-of-order packets on the network.  (Admittedly, this is unlikely to happen for a multicast stream over a single LAN, but it’s more likely to happen if you stream beyond a single LAN.)  Also, streaming over raw-UDP is less likely to work should you ever decide to stream something other than Transport Stream data.

> 1. I have not been able to find the place in the code where the delay between packets is determined.

This is done in the “MPEG2TransportStreamFramer” class - which parses the incoming Transport Stream data, to estimate (using PCR timestamps) the duration between successive chunks of Transport Stream data.

Should you ever decide to stream from a live input (Transport Stream) source, rather than from a pre-recorded file, you could omit the “MPEG2TransportStreamFramer” object.

> 2. Just curious why vlc could not tell if it is a transport stream since the rtp header "payload type" should indicate this. What am I mssing?

I don’t know - but you’d need to ask a VLC mailing list about that.  VLC is not our software.