[Live-devel] Broken data when streaming HEVC video

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Thu May 4 05:49:39 PDT 2017

> I read your reply as "this is the proper way to do it". Why would you suggest to increase the buffer size AND do slicing at the same time?

I didn’t.  Increasing the buffer size fixes your *immediate* problem.  But the ultimate solution - if you ever want to stream to more than just ‘localhost’ - is to slice your key frames (in which case you won’t need a buffer any larger than your largest slice).

Because you’re using our software, you presumably intend to someday stream your video over a network (otherwise you’d just use a pipe or stdout to a file, and not packetize your video at all).

> Again, I'm not sure how the output is any different from what H265VideoFileSink generates, apart from the SPropRecords header

You’ve answered your own question.  The difference is that “H265VideoFileSink” prepends the output file with the SPS,PPS,VPS NAL units.  (See “H264or5VideoFileSink.cpp”, lines 46-56.)

> which, to my experience isn't mandatory.

Well, apparently it *is* mandatory if you’re playing the file with “ffplay” :-)