[Live-devel] Need help relaying RTP packets

Mark Woodard mwoodard at mutualink.net
Thu Nov 2 10:30:03 PDT 2017

I have posted on this issue before and received conflicting answers, due to
my inaccurate descriptions. So I'm going to try to ask one final time,
being as careful as possible.

I am trying to relay the RTP packets received from an RTSP server (server
A, running 3rd party software) to a remote URL hosted by server B (running
our own software). I must get the SDP of the video stream from server A and
use it to ask server B for the destination URL. Communication with Server B
does not require any type of streaming control protocol (RTCP, RTSP), but
it knows how to accept RTP packets on a socket. All video streams from
server A are H264.

So I created a module based on the Live555 sample testRTSPClient. Once I
was receiving data from server A, I replaced the "DummySink" that it used
with the BasicUDPSink that the sample testRelay is using, and created its
output socket on the destination URL that I got from server B. That did not
seem to work, and I was told that if I wanted to relay RTP packets, I
should use a sink derived from RTPSink. So I replaced the BasicUDPSink with
H264VideoRTPSink. That did not seem to work either.

So I'm hoping that someone can tell me if I am on the right track, or if I
should be using a different sink.

And here is another thing I find odd: When I create the output socket for
the sink (a Groupsock), I notice that its constructor takes an address and
port, but no scheme. I want it to use UDP, and I have the #define
REQUEST_STREAMING_OVER_TCP set to False. Will it, in fact, use UDP?
Mark Woodard

Mutualink, Inc.
313 S Jupiter
Allen, TX 75002

Toll Free: (866) 957-5465 Ext: 508
Direct: (972) 200-5020
E-Mail: mwoodard at mutualink.net <employeer at mutualink.net>

Web: www.mutualink.net

*Certified by the Department of Homeland Security SAFETY Act for
Interoperable Communications*

The information in this email, and subsequent attachments, may contain
confidential information that is intended solely for the attention and use
of the named addressee(s). This message or any part thereof must not be
disclosed, copied, distributed or retained by any person without
authorization from the addressee.

Visit Mutualink at the following social media sites:

<http://www.twitter.com/MutualinkInc>
<http://www.facebook.com/Mutualink>
<http://www.linkedin.com/company/mutualink>