[Live-devel] FFMPEG VP8/VP9 Encoding to Live555

Weber, Patrick Patrick.Weber at iecinfrared.com
Wed Apr 4 08:19:01 PDT 2018

Hello Live555 community -

I'd like to encode a live video stream using FFMPEG API's using the VP8 and VP9 codecs and make the stream available using Live555 as RTSP. I already have a framework in place that does this using other codecs (MPEG1, MPEG2, MPEG4, H264, H265). A couple questions:

1.       Do I need to parse the output (similar to the H264 NAL parsing) of the VP8/VP9 AVPacket? I've tried just sending the content directly to Live555 through my FramedSource; the VP8 sort of works, but isn't something I'd show a client (slow-arriving frames, dropped frames, etc). The VP9 doesn't work at all.

2.       Do I need some type of discrete framer for VP8/VP9?

3.       Is libvpx just too slow for 30fps real-time encoding? (Probably should have asked this first...)

Thanks in advance for any help you might provide!

- Pat Weber