[Live-devel] Re-streaming RTP as RAW-UDP multicast transported as MPEGTS

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Sun Aug 26 18:19:41 PDT 2018

> Questions:
> 1. Am I pursing the right strategy to accomplish my final objective - namely, playing MPEGTS stream over multicast UDP, the video source being the proxy server.

Perhaps.  An alternative approach, of course, would be for your RTSP client application to read directly from the source video stream (i.e., without using a proxy server at all).  But presumably you have some reason for wanting to use a proxy server (e.g., to support additional (regular) RTSP video player clients as well?).

> 2. If yes, what is the best way to verify that the RAW-UDP data I receive in my RTSP client are indeed H.265 frames ?

If the source stream is, indeed H.265, then the data that you receive in your RTSP client *will* be H.265 NAL units.

However, for your receiving video player (e.g., VLC) to be able to understand/play the stream, you probably need to prepend the stream with three special H.265 NAL units: The SPS, PPS, and VPS NAL units.  See the last two paragraphs of this FAQ entry:
	http://live555.com/liveMedia/faq.html#testRTSPClient-how-to-decode-data

> 3. Also, what the best way to verify that the MPEGTS framing is being sent to the multicast group?

I suggest that - before streaming the H.265/Transport Stream data over multicast - you first write it to a file (i.e., using “FileSink” instead of “BasicUDPSink”).  Then you can try playing the file (locally) using VLC.  If (and only if) that works OK, you can then try streaming it.

And finally, a reminder (to everyone) that if you are using the “LIVE555 Streaming Media” software in a product, you are free to do so, as long as you comply with the conditions of the GNU LGPL v3 license; see:
	http://live555.com/liveMedia/faq.html#copyright-and-license