[Live-devel] Add a "reason for leaving" in RTCP Bye packet

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Thu Dec 13 21:26:04 PST 2018

Thanks to Denis Genestier for this suggestion.  I have now installed a new version (2018.12.14) of the “LIVE555 Streaming Media” code that implements this (for both sending and receiving RTCP “BYE” packets).  There has been a change to the API.  This API change is backwards compatible; however, existing application code will need to be recompiled.

- The function “RTCPInstance::sendBYE()” now takes an optional “reason” parameter.
- The function “RTCPInstance::setByeHandler()” remains; as before, it does not use the “reason” at all.
- There’s a new function “RTCPInstance::setByeWithReasonHandler()”, with the same functionality as “setByeHandler()”, except that the handler function takes a “reason” parameter.  (This “reason” will be a dynamically-allocated “char const*” (or NULL); it should be delete[]d by the handler function.)

I have updated the “openRTSP” and “testRTSPClient” applications to display the reason (if any) whenever a RTCP “BYE” packet arrives.

Let me know if you have any problems with this new functionality.