[Live-devel] Sending application data with video interleaved

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Mon Jan 8 08:53:40 PST 2018

>> I would like to send application data (like analytics data) from Live555 Server along with video interleaved. I did not find sample inside testProgs. Could you please point me to any sample code or references ?

First, I deliberately delayed answering your question, because you posted it to the mailing list more than once.  This is violation of basic mailing list ‘netiquette’, which everyone should know, and is also explained here:
	http://live555.com/liveMedia/faq.html#reposting

The answer to your question depends upon what type of ‘application data’ you wish to stream (along with the video).  There needs to be an IETF ‘RTP Payload Format’ defined for this type of data - so that senders will know how to send it (i.e., package it within outgoing RTP packets) and so that receivers will know how to receive it (i.e., extract it from incoming RTP packets).

For example, if your ‘application data' is in text form, then you may be able to send it using a “T140TextRTPSink” - i.e., using the RTP payload format defined in RFC 2793.  For receiving such a RTP stream, you can use our class "SimpleRTPSource”.

As with all streamed data, this text data (that you’ll feed to a “T140TextRTPSink” would need to have a proper presentation time (the “fPresentationTime” variable), aligned with ‘wall clock’ time.