[Live-devel] trick play ts file with MPEG-4 part 10

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Sun Mar 4 08:38:19 PST 2018

> On Feb 4, 2018, at 11:32 PM, Maksym Zhmak <m.zhmak at infomir.com> wrote:
>
> I have some problem with playing video in trick-play mode from live555 RTSP server.
> It happens when I try to reverse-play TS file with MPEG-4 part 10 (H.264) video encoded - picture freezes and stands still for many seconds.
>
> I tried on many files, including sample you provide on your site - bipbop-gear1-all.ts - and problems are still here. All index files for trick-playing were made with "MPEG2TransportStreamIndexer" tool.
>
> I also tried tool "testMPEG2TransportStreamTrickPlay" to simulate reverse playback on bipbop-gear1-all.ts with start time 300 and scale -2.
> As a result, I got .ts file that cannot be correctly played by the VLC player - the same frozen frame and no playing occurs.
>
> Can "MPEG2TransportStreamIndexer" tool work properly with such TS file that contains MPEG-4 part 10 (H.264) video?

Yes; however, it doesn’t work for *all* H.264-in-MPEG-Transport-Stream video files - including, unfortunately, the "bipbop-gear1-all.ts” file.  In particular, it relies upon a SPS (Sequence Parameter Set) NAL unit appearing shortly before each 'I-frame’; see http://lists.live555.com/pipermail/live-devel/2010-December/012976.html

I have, however, just uploaded two H.264-in-MPEG-Transport-Stream video files (and their corresponding ‘index files’) for which the trick play mechanism works OK.  See the files “rango.ts” and "test008.ts” (and the corresponding “.tsx” index files) that are now online at:
	http://www.live555.com/liveMedia/public/h264-in-mp2t/