[Live-devel] New LIVE555 version - adds client support for accessing RTSP servers via TLS (encrypted TCP)

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Sat Dec 7 05:57:51 PST 2019

“A day that will live in infamy” :-)

I have just released a new version (2019.12.07) of the “LIVE555 Streaming Media” code that adds support to  "RTSPClient" for connecting to the server via TLS (encrypted TCP).  “RTSPClient” will now connect via TLS if the URL begins with "rtsps://", or if the URL's port number is 322 (the port number reserved for RTSP over TLS), or if the "useTLS()" function is called on the "RTSPClient" object before the first RTSP command is sent.

Note that only RTSP *client* support for TLS is implemented for now; our RTSP server implementation currently does not support connections over TLS.

IMPORTANT NOTE:
Because applications now link with "-lssl -lcrypto", you MUST re-run “genMakefiles <configuration-name>” (to generate a new Makefile) after upgrading to this version of the software.

If you don't wish to support RTSP-over-TLS (or if you don't have “OpenSSL” installed), you can avoid this by compling with "-DNO_OPENSSL=1”.  Note that I have added two new configuration files "config.linux-no-openssl” and "config.freebsd-no-openssl”, so, for example, if you are on Linux, an do not wish to support RTSP-over-TLS (or do not have “OpenSSL” installed), you can run
	cd live; ./genMakefiles linux-no-openssl
to generate Makefiles that build the code as before - with no RTSP-over-TLS support.
(Feel free to create/modify other configuration files (for other system types) as appropriate.