[Live-devel] H.264 bitstream thought as H.265, and not playable with VLC or FFmpeg

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Mon Feb 18 01:57:35 PST 2019

It seems that there is a problem with the H.264 video data that you are trying to stream.  We cannot help you with this (as it has nothing to do with our software).

I suggest that you first record your H.264 video data as a raw “.264” video file (i.e., containing nothing but H.264 NAL units, with a MPEG ‘start code’ 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x01 before each NAL unit).  Then, try streaming this “.264” video file using our existing, unmodified “LIVE555 Media Server” (or “testOnDemandRTSPServer”).  Use our (again, unmodified) “openRTSP” application as your RTSP client.

If you cannot stream/receive this data properly, then there is a problem with your H.264 encoding mechanism - that you will need to fix.