[Live-devel] Jitter Buffer h264 rtsp client

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Thu Jan 3 15:20:29 PST 2019

> On Jan 4, 2019, at 12:07 PM, Kevin Bailey <kevin at advantaacomputer.com> wrote:
>
> Hi all! Can anyone point me to an example of how to implement a jitter buffer into an rtsp client using live555?

You could probably look at the VLC code for an example.  But the idea is quite straightforward:  A basic jitter buffer is just a queue of incoming frames (or, for H.264, "NAL units”).  (Because the LIVE555 code always delivers frames in order, you don’t need to worry about frames arriving out of order - thus, it can just be a queue.)  You should mark each frame with its “presentation time”.  The length of the queue will depend on how much playback delay you want (again, based on the presentation times).

You can get a lot more complex than this (i.e., varying the size of the buffer depending on the measured jitter, etc.).  But for a RTSP source - where low latency usually isn’t crucial - that’s usually not necessary.