[Live-devel] live-devel Digest, Vol 186, Issue 10

Warren Young warren at etr-usa.com
Wed May 22 07:47:38 PDT 2019

On May 22, 2019, at 8:06 AM, Saurabh Modi via live-devel <live-devel at us.live555.com> wrote:

> Since the JPEG RTP payload header has only 8 bits for storing width and height, therefore it will not be able to store resolution greater than 2048 or 3MP. Is there a way we can stream JPEG having resolution greater than 3MP.

Ross already posted this link recently:

    http://live555.com/liveMedia/faq.html#jpeg-streaming

…and now you’re asking how you can make the packets even bigger?

If inter-frame compression is the problem, then how about I-frame-only H.264, which will let you break each picture up into slices so the whole picture isn’t lost if one packet is lost, and no subsequent pictures will fail to decode due to not having any dependence on prior pictures?

The overall bit rate should be about half that of comparable quality MJPEG due to superior still picture coding techniques incorporated during the ~10 years between the standardization of these two codecs.

If it absolutely *has* to be MJPEG, then you could pull off the same slicing technique yourself, with custom reassembly on the other side.  A 4k image can be seen as four 2k images, for example.