[Live-devel] Adding support of key management (RFC 4567)

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Tue Sep 3 23:17:58 PDT 2019

Sorry for the delay in responding to this.

> On Aug 28, 2019, at 6:16 AM, BENMOUSSA Yahia - Contractor <yahia.benmoussa at external.thalesgroup.com> wrote:
>
> If we send you a patch, would you integrate it in your code?

No, not right now.  The basic reason is that these RTSP extensions (for key management) would make sense to implement only if we already implemented SRTP - and right now there are no plans to implement SRTP, because this would require a lot of work, and (quite frankly) right now there’s no benefit to me to do this.  I.e., there’s nothing in this for me.

(In more detail: A SRTP receiver could not just use “SimpleRTPSource”, because that makes sense only for very simple RTP payload formats, and most of the media codecs that are likely to be used (in particular H.264) have RTP payload formats (and corresponding “RTPSource” subclasses) that are much more complicated than this.  And implementing SRTP at the sending (i.e., server) end - as we did experimentally for our WebRTC demo - requires making an extra data copy of each outgoing packet (to ensure that we have enough space for the SRTP ‘authentication tag’).  Fixing this properly would require a major upgrade of our buffering mechanism - something that nobody else seems interested in at present.  I'm not going to add an implementation of SRTP receiving unless I also add an implementation of SRTP transmitting, and vice versa.)

Nonetheless, I would be potentially willing to work with the manufacturer(s) of these “CCTV cameras” to add SRTP receiving support to the LIVE555 library, and potentially implement SRTP transmission (for use in the cameras’ own implementation) - but *only* if they were to contact me directly about this.  I am not going to undertake significant work like this (that benefits some third-party company) solely via an intermediary, and certainly not unless there is some benefit to me in doing so.

Sorry.