[Live-devel] Streaming NVENC H.264 through testH264VideoStreamer.cpp

Philippe Noël philippe_noel at college.harvard.edu
Thu Sep 26 12:33:36 PDT 2019

Hello,

I am using Nvidia NVENC (all in cpp) from a Windows 10 machine to encode
raw video files to H.264 using the GPU for the purpose of doing
live-streaming to another device. I would like to use Live555 for my server
& client RTSP to send my h.264 stream of frames as UDP packets using
RTSP/RTP.

I've looked at testH264VideoStreamer.cpp and at the FAQ on the wiki and it
seems to be the file I should use. The FAQ mentions converting test.264 to
read from stdin and pipe my encoder stream to the file. I'm a little lost
as to how to proceed, having never done it before, and am seeking some help.

The NVENC encoder takes a frame, encodes it as H.264 and then keeps it in
memory before flushing it and repeating, and so I would need to pipe my
stream before the frame is flushed so it sent to RTSP. The code I'm working
from used to store the frames in a file, but I would like for openRTSP to
directly get the frames from video memory to save the CPU of as much work
as possible.

Please let me know, I would really appreciate some help here.

Philippe