[Live-devel] Live555 bug report: Video freezes when playing backward and fPresentationTime is changed

Matthew Czarnek mczarnek at edge360.com
Thu Apr 9 11:42:26 PDT 2020

I'm using a subclassed FramedSource to play a video, and I'm playing it
forward normally and backward by skipping between I-frames. It works fine
backwards until it loops around and start the video over again.

At that point, and only if I'm setting the fPresentationTime to the PTS of
the frames, the RTSP stream will freeze. I've tested it with multiple RTSP
video players and it seems to be live555 freezing.

If I permanently set fPresentationTime to 0, it will also work. However,
once it is set to 0, after the initial time it is set to 0, it will freeze
everything once it changes from 0, even if it is changed back and
progresses normally. In fact, I told it to set it to 0 if it's over 30
seconds in a minute long video, otherwise keep PTS. It seems like it works
until there is one time that it skips from 0 to a number that is too high.

Once it skipped from 0 to 30 seconds, then everything froze and nothing
could recover it.

I updated to the newest version from the version I was using that was
released 2020.02.11 or 2020.02.23. Wondering if it's related to the bug
fixed in the 2020.02.23 version as it was related to Presentation Times and
this code was previously working.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Matt