[Live-devel] Live555 bug report: Video freezes when playing backward and fPresentationTime is changed

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Thu Apr 9 12:36:32 PDT 2020

> On Apr 10, 2020, at 6:57 AM, Ross Finlayson <finlayson at live555.com> wrote:
>
> "fPresentationTime” - as set by your server - should always be monotonic nondecreasing (i.e., it should never decrease)

The one exception to this, by the way, is ‘B frames’ (using MPEG-2 terminology; I don’t know what they’re called in called in H.264).  These are frames whose contents depends on frames that are displayed later.  In this case - because frames are always streamed in decoding order (i.e., the order that they are to be fed to the client’s video decoder) - the presentation times for such frames will be less than the (sent-and-decoded-earlier) frames that they depend upon.