[Live-devel] live555MediaServer and trick mode

Jim Ham jimham at porcine.com
Wed Aug 5 13:09:42 PDT 2020

First of all, I'm a newbie to this. I'm trying to set up a media server
on a private lan. So far things are working quite well except for random
access to the streamed file.

mkv and webm formats both exhibit the same behavior: The file streams
fine until I move the slider in VLC. After a few seconds the video
resumes, but very choppy and the audio never syncs. As there is no
mention (that I can find) about this in the archives, I have to believe
I have done something wrong.

The server is Debian stable (Buster). I downloaded and compiled live555
on the server a couple of days ago. It compiled without errors. It
serves media files with no problem as well, other than trick mode.

I'm transcoding with Handbrake 1.3.1. Is there something special in the
setup for Handbrake to enable tricks to work?

The streaming client is VLC. I've tried VLC on several platforms, all
have the same results noted above.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to get this fixed?

Jim Ham
--
Porcine Associates LLC
244 O'Connor St.