[Live-devel] media streaming and random access

Jim Ham jimham at porcine.com
Sun Aug 9 11:17:17 PDT 2020

I'm still having trouble getting a stream to play after moving the
slider in VLC. If I play from the beginning and don't touch the slider,
all works.

I have a video queued now that I ripped from a DVD with ffmpeg using the
following command (Linux):
cat /mnt/dvd/VIDEO_TS/VTS_0*_*VOB | ffmpeg -i - -c:v libx264 -crf 13 -g
30 Tanya.mkv

I believe this sets the key frames to 1 per second. The resulting mkv
file is about 60% of the size of the DVD image.

You can see what happens yourself:
<rtsp://margotandjim.com:8554/Tanya.mkv> If I play this file directly
(not streamed), it works fine.

I've tried transcoding with both Handbrake and ffmpeg - results are the
same. They probably are both using the same .264 library. I've tried
transcoding on two different machines just in case the hardware was
making some difference. But no, all the same. I've tried serving with
two different machines - also no difference. Bottom line - it sure looks
to me as if the Live555MediaServer has a problem moving to a random
place in a video.

It appears that the server jumps to the right location, and plays the
first second correctly. Then it starts jumping ahead at regular
intervals. Maybe it's jumping from key frame to key frame?

I'm really sorry to see this as the media server fits what I want to do
almost perfectly. So - can I help? Although I've worked for years
professionally using C and C++ in a Linux environment, I have zero
experience with video or video servers. Still, maybe with some help...
Let me know.

Best regards,

Jim Ham
--