[Live-devel] HLSProxy

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Jul 1 02:17:20 PDT 2020

> On Jul 1, 2020, at 5:13 PM, Serge via live-devel <live-devel at us.live555.com> wrote:
>
> I am a little late to the party regarding the feedback on the HLSProxy, but I have been looking at this tool recently as a means of buffering a video in segments before processing parts of it for a project. I have come across a number of issues, as follows
>
> 1. streamUsingTCP is never used

No, the ‘-t’ option (stream using RTP/RTCP-over-TCP) is working just fine - but it depends upon the RTSP server supporting it.  Perhaps your RTSP server (IP camera) doesn’t support it?

You can check this by changing “RTSP_CLIENT_VERBOSITY_LEVEL” from 0 to 1, and looking at the RTSP “SETUP” commands and responses.

> 2. Something in the streaming functions used from hlsProxy (and my c++ is too limited to debug properly) does not appear to handle broken streams well

That’s right.  The “LIVE555 HLS Proxy” currently acts as a basic RTSP client, and thus if the RTSP stream ends, it doesn’t attempt to reconnect.  At some point in the future, I might add a ’retry’ mechanism (as such a mechanism currently exists for the “LIVE555 RTSP Proxy”), but this is not a high priority.

For now, I suggest restarting the "LIVE555 HLS Proxy” whenever you restart your router (or the back-end RTSP server).

> 3. I have not tried any H.265 streams, but will do so in the future. I appreciate the addition of audio in recent code. I'm wondering if there is a DiscreteFramer I could use for something like alaw (PCM ALAW).

The problem here is that there needs to be a standard MPEG Transport stream type for this codec (to ensure that each web browser that ends up playing the Transport Stream segments will understand what this data means.

If you have an example of a MPEG Transport Stream file (preferably, a HLS segment) that contains this kind of data, let me know.