[Live-devel] HLSProxy (Ross Finlayson)

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Sun Jul 5 16:53:52 PDT 2020

> On Jul 6, 2020, at 11:33 AM, Serge via live-devel <live-devel at us.live555.com> wrote:
>
> The camera source definitely supports TCP streams, and when I change line 169 from "continueAfterClientCreation1(rtspClient);" to "continueAfterClientCreation0(rtspClient, streamUsingTCP);" this does provide a TCP stream. Otherwise, it does not.

If you look at the code for “continueAfterClientCreation0()”, you’ll see that those two statements are essentially equivalent.  So this appears to be a ‘wild goose chase’.

>>> 2. Something in the streaming functions used from hlsProxy (and my c++ is too limited to debug properly) does not appear to handle broken streams well
>> That?s right.  The ?LIVE555 HLS Proxy? currently acts as a basic RTSP client, and thus if the RTSP stream ends, it doesn?t attempt to reconnect.  At some point in the future, I might add a ?retry? mechanism (as such a mechanism currently exists for the ?LIVE555 RTSP Proxy?), but this is not a high priority.
>>
>> For now, I suggest restarting the "LIVE555 HLS Proxy? whenever you restart your router (or the back-end RTSP server).
> I would have expected the hlsProxy to exit when the stream ends? It can then be restarted it in an automated fashion from external source.

That (exiting the process when the stream ends) a good idea.  I actually think this is better (simpler) than trying to retry/recover within the “LIVE555 HLS Proxy” application itself.  I’ll likely add this sometime in the future.