[Live-devel] [live555] RTP sequence number is not continuous when video bitrate is high (for example: 8Mbps)

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Jul 29 01:45:23 PDT 2020

> On Jul 29, 2020, at 8:34 PM, Zhang Qian(张倩) <qianzhang at asrmicro.com> wrote:
>

> Hi Ross,
>
> I found sometimes RTP sequence is not continuous when video bitrate is very high such as 8Mbps. Seems that it will lose some FU packets.

Congratulations!  You have discovered datagrams!  UDP (and RTP, which uses UDP) is an unreliable datagram protocol.  Packets can get lost (especially if you’re streaming at a high bitrate - approaching the capacity of your network).

> How to avoid it.

You can’t.  However, you can usually reduce your packet loss rate by streaming at a lower bit rate (which requires lowering your encoder’s resolution and/or frame rate).

If you don’t want any data loss at all, then you shouldn’t be doing real-time video streaming.  Instead, transfer your video files using TCP (e.g., using HTTP).  Or else use something like HLS - where you get no data loss, but at the cost of high (non-real-time) latency.