[Live-devel] How do I setup RTSP proxy to advertise to HLS proxy running on another server

Admin admin at securecoop.com
Wed Jun 3 09:41:01 PDT 2020

            Okay okay very good. How about this? Since I don’t want to require users to open ports on the firewall, RPi runs HLS proxy and yes still have the OpenVPN or maybe a tunnel firewall to the HTTP server running on my server? I see in the documentation that the HTTP server must be on the same computer, so maybe over a netcat pipe or something. How does the HTTP server pick up the output from the proxy, is it by some RPC?---- On Wed, 03 Jun 2020 12:22:44 -0400  Ross Finlayson<finlayson at live555.com> wrote ----> On Jun 4, 2020, at 2:34 AM, Admin via live-devel <live-devel at us.live555.com> wrote:> > Help a newbie? I would like to have an RTSP proxy running on a Raspberry Pi advertising to an HLS proxy running on a server. I noticed the HLS proxy has a -R "REGISTER" flag to listen for an advertised RTSP stream, but how do I configure the RTSP proxy to advertise?[…]> > So I'm thinking of this kind of setup:> [IP cam RTSP]<--[RPi Live555 RTSP proxy]-->[OpenVPN]--[Home firewall]--[OpenVPN]-->[Live555 HLS proxy]<--[App]What you’re describing is possible; however, this is something that you would need to program yourself; i.e., it is not available simply via a command-line option.  Note that the (custom) RTSP “REGISTER” command was originally intended to be something that would be implemented in network cameras themselves, rather than in the “LIVE555 Proxy Server”.  However, you could, in principle, add this functionality to the “LIVE555 Proxy Server” (or any LIVE555-based RTSP server); see    http://lists.live555.com/pipermail/live-devel/2020-February/021495.htmlHowever, the system that you describe seems rather complex.  You’re also omitting the HTTP server that would use the output from the “LIVE555 HLS Proxy” (or perhaps that is part of your “[App]”??).  It would be much simpler to just to do the following (ignoring the ‘OpenVPN’s):    [IP cam RTSP]-->[Live555 HLS proxy][HTTP server]—[Home firewall]<-[App]or    [IP cam RTSP]-->[Live555 HLS proxy]—[Home firewall]--[HTTP server]<-[App]I.e., Don’t implement any intermediate RTSP server at all; instead, have the “LIVE555 HLS Proxy” read directly from the IP camera.  If you do this, then your problem becomes either:1/ Figure out how to access the HTTP server from across your firewall (if you run your HTTP server inside your firewall), or2/ Figure out how to make the HLS segments+“.m3u8” file accessible across your firewall (if you run your HTTP server outside your firewall).  I.e., in this case you could either transfer the HLS segments+“.m3u8” file across your firewall dynamically, or somehow make the file system directory (that contains the HLS segments+“.m3u8” file) accessible to the HTTP server outside your firewall, e.g., using some file/directory sharing protocol (like NFS).Either of these solutions seems simpler than messing with an intermediate RTSP server/proxy (that implements “REGISTER”).Ross FinlaysonLive Networks, Inc.http://www.live555.com/_______________________________________________live-devel mailing listlive-devel at lists.live555.comhttp://lists.live555.com/mailman/listinfo/live-devel