[Live-devel] local rtsp client playback control only

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Mon Jun 15 08:59:38 PDT 2020

> On Jun 15, 2020, at 11:53 PM, Gerald Hansink <gerald.hansink at ieee.org> wrote:
>
> hi ross,
>
> for the use case where client is only used as "playback controller" without consuming video and the rtsp server acts as a "local video player".

I’m not sure what you mean by 'rtsp server acts as a "local video player”’.  The RTSP server is the thing that responds to RTSP commands.  It is usually the thing that transmits outgoing RTP (i.e., media) packets.  In contrast, a “video player” is the thing that renders/displays incoming media packets.

However, the first part of your statement makes sense.  It is possible for the RTSP client to just send RTSP commands (to the RTSP server), without actually receiving incoming RTP (i.e., media) packets from the server.  (In this case, a separate process - running on the same computer - would usually receive the incoming RTP packets.)

To do this, your client would need to specify which UDP port number (on the same computer) would be used to receive the incoming RTP packets.  (I’m assuming a unicast stream here; for a multicast stream, it’s usually the server that chooses the port number (and destination IP multicast address).)  To do this, look at how our “openRTSP” application implements the
	-r (‘don’t receive’)
and
	-p <startingPortNumber>
options; see