[Live-devel] How to know when a RTSP stream is ready to play?

Matthew Czarnek mczarnek at edge360.com
Fri Mar 27 10:49:41 PDT 2020

On my server, I'm calling this code to create a proxy Stream and add it to
my session:

  ProxyServerMediaSession* proxyStream =
ProxyServerMediaSession::createNew(*env, rtspServer, proxyURL,
proxyStreamName);
  rtspServer->addServerMediaSession(proxyStream);

Then I get the rtsp URL:

char* proxyStreamURL = rtspServer->rtspURL(proxyStream);

I then send that URL to the client and the client tries to play it. Only
the stream does not appear to be ready yet as if I play it, it fails. If
the client pauses for a moment before playing, it works. Also, I'm using a
library on the client side that doesn't let me know whether or not it
actually worked.. it'll simply display an empty screen.

So, I'm trying to find a way to make sure that on the server, I know that
the stream is playing before I tell the client to start streaming from it.
Not sure how to do this. Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Matt