[Live-devel] Issue building groupsock with MSVC

Thorson, Joshua C joshua.thorson at gatech.edu
Mon Apr 5 06:58:48 PDT 2021

Hello,

It seems there are some issues with compiling the latest changes for IPV6 in the groupsock library with MSVC. The issue is with the call to setsockopt, specifically, argument 4 for MSVC is expecting a 'const char *' but is being provided a 'const int *'/'const void *'.  I see you are casting arg 4 to 'const char *' in other places you use setsockopt so I was wondering if you could keep that consistent.

The casting issue occurs on the following lines:
GroupsockHelper.cpp(183): error C2664: 'int setsockopt(SOCKET,int,int,const char *,int)': cannot convert argument 4 from 'const int *' to 'const char *'
GroupsockHelper.cpp(354): error C2664: 'int setsockopt(SOCKET,int,int,const char *,int)': cannot convert argument 4 from 'const int *' to 'const char *'
GroupsockHelper.cpp(600): error C2664: 'int setsockopt(SOCKET,int,int,const char *,int)': cannot convert argument 4 from 'const void *' to 'const char *'
GroupsockHelper.cpp(653): error C2664: 'int setsockopt(SOCKET,int,int,const char *,int)': cannot convert argument 4 from 'const void *' to 'const char *'

Thank you,

Josh