[Live-devel] RTSP over HTTPS tunneling

Laszlo Ast ast at netavis.hu
Wed Dec 15 04:09:20 PST 2021

 > Simple and unsuccessful beats complicated and successful?
Of course, not.
However, for the tests I needed, the socat "tricks" proved to be simple and successful.
I would like to stress that it is about tests, not a production quality solution.
I just needed RTSP sources with different transport combinations, that I couldn't get directly from the cameras.

 > It sounds like you’ve got some weeks or months to wait for a non-guaranteed solution, so unless you’re going to write
the Live555 code to do what you want, I’d go with the stunnel or nginx options to get you through the delay, at least.
It is unclear what you exactly mean, but maybe I wasn't clear enough, either.
I wanted to have support for RTSP tunneling over HTTPS.
The quick and dirty solution would have been to use socat between the RTSP client and the camera (or other source).
A nicer solution could be implemented using live555 as it is, with one of the tools you suggested.
However, with minimal changes, I provided an implementation in live555, that I also extensively tested.