[Live-devel] Live555 presentation times jump when joining multicast streams

DJM-Avalesta david.myers at avalesta.com
Mon Dec 20 08:07:20 PST 2021

Hi,

My video encoder/server streams live video via multicast. It is being
tested with multiple instances of VLC running under Windows.

At some point, at the moment a new VLC session connects to the multicast
stream (via an RTSP url), the presentation time can jump forward or back
by a huge amount and I can't find why. The consequence of this is that
starting and connecting a second VLC session will cause the first live
VLC session to freeze. Starting a 3rd VLC session will cause sessions 1
and 2 to freeze.

My code for presentation time is:-

void StreamSource::setPresentationTime()
{
     if (fPresentationTime.tv_sec == 0 && fPresentationTime.tv_usec == 0)
     {
         gettimeofday(&fPresentationTime, NULL);
         INFO("setPresentationTime: %ld.%06ld\n",
fPresentationTime.tv_sec, fPresentationTime.tv_usec);
     }
     else
     {
         int iSkip;
         double fMaxFps;
         g_ViewDescriptors[0]->GetFrameSkip(iSkip);
         fMaxFps = CalcTrueFpsfromSkip(iSkip); //eg 25fps, 12.5fps etc,
the frame rate
         // Increment by the sample time
         unsigned uSeconds = fPresentationTime.tv_usec +
(unsigned)(1000000.0/fMaxFps);
         fPresentationTime.tv_sec += uSeconds/1000000;
         fPresentationTime.tv_usec = uSeconds%1000000;
     }
}

Via wireshark I can see a huge jump in Presentation time which I don't
seem to have caused in the code above, ie here, where the time has
jumped backwards

I need to be able to support multip[le VLC session connecting and
disconnecting, so what could be causing these seemingly random jumps in
the frame presentation time when a VLC session connects?

Best regards

David