[Live-devel] New LIVE555 version - with initial support for IPv6

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Feb 10 20:27:39 PST 2021

As you may have noticed from the changelog, in recent weeks I have made lots of changes to the code to add support for IPv6.  (Previously, the code had lots of built-in dependencies on IPv4.)

I have just released a new version (2021.02.11) of the “LIVE555 Streaming Media” code that adds support for IPv6 for RTSP unicast streams.  RTSP clients on IPv6-capable hosts can now access a stream via IPv6 (using a “rtsp://“ URL that contains an IPv6 address), and RTSP servers can run on IPv4-only hosts, IPv6-only hosts, or dual-stack (IPv4 and IPv6) hosts.

I have also updated the “LIVE555 Media Server” and “testOnDemandRTSPServer” applications to display both their IPv4 and IPv6 RTSP URLs when starting (or just an IPv4 RTSP URL if the system is IPv4-only,  or just an IPv6 RTSP URL if the system is IPv6-only).

Note: IPv6 addresses in URLs (including “rtsp://“ URLs) are enclosed in square brackets - [] - which, in some shells (e.g., csh), are special characters.  If you’re running such a shell, you’ll need to enclose an IPv6 URL in quotes when you use it, e.g.
	openRTSP 'rtsp://[2001:470:82e9:0:101a:90b1:94d:b2dc]/mySong.mp3’

Still to do: IPv6 multicast isn’t working just yet.  You also might encounter problems if a RTSP server has a mix of multiple IPv4/IPv6 clients sharing a single stream (with “reuseFirstSource = True”).

Many thanks to Thales Group for sponsoring this work.