[Live-devel] openRTSP MP4 container

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Tue Mar 23 08:11:26 PDT 2021

> On Mar 23, 2021, at 6:16 AM, Tim Stanley <tim at dafanghacks.co.uk> wrote:
>
> I accept that the MP4 and Quicktime container may basically be the same but there must be some differences, even it is only in the file header.  When i capture a video using openRTSP mediainfo reports is as a Quicktime container but if i then run the file through ffmpeg and set it to copy the audio and video stream the file output is different and mediainfo reports it is an MP4 file.  The Quicktime and MP4 files are not the same even if they might be very similar.  Due to the low power of the hardware we are using i want to avoid having to run each file through ffmpeg when openRTSP should be outputting an MP4 in the first place.
>
> It also made me think why would openRTSP have a -q and -4 flag and explicitly mention the difference between a Quicktime file and an MP4 file in the docs if they are basically the same?  Do both flags output the same file or should openRTSP encode each video into a different container?

Remember, You Have Complete Source Code.

If you have a specific suggestion for a patch to the implementation of the “QuickTimeFileSink” class (the code that generates (depending on the value of the “generateMP4Format” Boolean parameter) either a QuickTime-format file, or a MP4-format file), then let us know.

> One thing i have been trying to do is compile a newer version of openRTSP

That’s good.  We support only the latest version of the code; the version that you get from
	http://live555.com/liveMedia/public/live555-latest.tar.gz

> I am trying to compile a new version in the following pull request but keep getting a message about invalid conversion from 'int*' to 'socklen_t*

That’s strange.  Your configuration file (“config.linux-mips”) includes the definition
	-DSOCKLEN_T=socklen_t
in COMPILE_OPTS.  That should solve this problem.  So you need to figure out why the code (specifically, “GenericMediaServer.cpp”) is not actually being compiled with this flag.