[Live-devel] rtsp proxy from ffmpeg

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Sep 7 07:25:10 PDT 2022

First, we do not support the model whereby a data source ‘pushes’ media into a RTSP server (something that’s excessively complex, and non-standard).  That’s why the “ANNOUNCE” command did not work.

Instead of using a ‘ffmpeg’ video encoder to ’stream’ encoded video into a RTSP server, you simply build a RTSP server - from our code - that uses ‘ffmpeg’ to generate an internal data source.  If your clients can access the server directly, you do not need a ‘proxy’ server; instead, a single RTSP server should work (it can stream to multiple clients concurrently).

You should use our “testOnDemandRTSPServer” demo application - in the “testProgs” directory - as a model.  You should first make sure that this server can stream a pre-encoded H.264 video file (that you’ve generated from your camera using ‘ffmpeg’), named “test.h264”, properly.  Then, you extend the code to use your own (‘ffmpeg’-generated) video source, rather than a pre-recorded video file.

This is something that many people have done; the steps required to do this are outlined in this FAQ:
	http://live555.com/liveMedia/faq.html#liveInput-unicast