[Live-devel] ProxyServer: The total received frame size exceeds the client's buffer size

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Jun 14 13:54:32 PDT 2023

> On Jun 14, 2023, at 12:50 PM, Flavio Alves <flavio.alves at vitalintelligencedata.com> wrote:
>
> Is there any setting on the IP camera or on the application the I can execute/change to avoid this behavior?

The problem here is that your IP camera is generating extremely large ‘I frames’ (also called ‘key frames’).  Extremely large I frames are bad for streaming over RTP, because each I frame gets packed into a very large number of RTP packets, and the loss of even one of these RTP packets will make the whole frame un-decodable and un-displayable.

Instead, you should reconfigure your IP camera to encode your key frames as a series of ’slice’ NAL units, rather than as a single I frame NAL unit.  That way, the latency of your displayed video will improve, and the loss of a RTP packet will not cause you to lose the whole key frame.

Alternatively, you *could* increase the value of "OutPacketBuffer::maxSize” in “live555ProxyServer.cpp”, but I don’t recommend this, because it will make the key frame problem even worse.  Unless your network is *very* reliable, you’ll lose a lot of your video.