[Live-devel] Use of MSG_NOSIGNAL in send function

Eric Beuque eric.beuque at jet1oeil.com
Thu Mar 30 07:54:26 PDT 2023

Hello,

I'm facing a SIGPIPE problem with livemedia on different Linux Debian based.

I can reproduce the problem easily in a program by using one thread using
an RTSP client, and another thread that can be used to put a breakpoint.
Using Clion, i pause the program on the breakpoint for 1-2 minutes with
GDB, and when i resume, the broken pipe is emitted in the sendDataOverTCP.

After some research i found that livemedia is using the signal(SIG_PIPE,
SIG_IGN) in the ignoreSigPipeOnSocket function.
Nevertheless, in my case, it's not working. I need to use MSG_NOSIGNAL to
avoid crash due to broken pipe.

I also found that VLC meet the same problem, and patch livemedia :
- https://mailman.videolan.org/pipermail/vlc-commits/2015-June/031169.html
-
https://github.com/videolan/vlc/blob/master/contrib/src/live555/live555-nosignal.patch

Do you have considered to use the MSG_NOSIGNAL to avoid crash ?

Best regards,

Eric BEUQUE - Software architect / developer

T. 03 81 50 51 50 | www.jet1oeil.com

5 rue Victor Considérant, Parc d’Activités de l’Echange 25770 Chemaudin et
Vaux