[Live-devel] Get version of shared library binary

Paul Westlund paul.westlund at currentcorp.com
Wed Apr 10 12:39:45 PDT 2024

Hello,

I was wondering if there is a way to get the version of the Live555 shared library binary (.so or .dll). I know the version is available in liveMedia/include/liveMedia_version.hh, but since the version string is a macro defined in the header file it will not be included in the shared library binary.

Right now I dynamically link an application to the live555 shared library (for compliance to LGPL). At start up, my application prints out a bunch of info including versions of libraries being used. Unfortunately the version of Live555 that is printed out is determined at compile time (because it's a macro string) not runtime. This means that after updating the shared library binary to a newer version, my application will still print the old version of Live555 until I recompile it.

I've typically seen this resolved with a function declaration in the header (say, getVersionString()) and the implementation (with the current version string) in the source - this allows the version to be compiled into the library binary itself.

Do you have any suggestions on how this problem could be resolved?

Thanks,
Paul