[Live-devel] Size optimization of the libraries

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Tue Jun 25 09:45:42 PDT 2024

> On Jun 25, 2024, at 9:18 AM, Lutz Fiebach <lutz at fiebach.de> wrote:
>
> Hello live555 Team,
>
> as I have already written, we are working on an operating system for ingenic soc based cameras.
> We are using live555 as rtsp server.

A reminder, if you haven’t already done so, to review:
	http://live555.com/liveMedia/faq.html#copyright-and-license

> Do you have any recommendations or tips on how we can remove unneeded components from the libraries and minimize their size?

A good compiler and linker should do this automatically.  (For example, if your application is only a RTSP server  (and not a RTSP proxy server), then its binary should not include the code for the “RTSPClient” class.)  You should not need to modify any of our code to make this happen (and a reminder that we do not support modified versions of our code).

Note that our code was deliberately designed to be useful in embedded or other ‘small footprint’ systems.  (That’s why, for example, we don’t mandate use of the C++ standard library.)