[Live-devel] openRTSP and H.263

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Fri Dec 19 10:26:57 PST 2003

>I tried to download a H.263 stream with openRTSP. The stream had 2
>subsessions: audio/AMR and video/H263-2000.
>
>Unfortunately, openRTSP exited because both types where not
>supported. I expected that H263-2000 to be supported and AMR to be
>supported since the update on 2003/09/01.
>
>I looked in the source code and I think AMR is only supported for
>building a server, not for building a client.

That's correct.  There is currently no "AMRAudioRTPSource" object, which is
what would be needed to receive AMR audio RTP streams.

(The "AMRAudioRTPSink" support, for AMR audio *servers*, was added to
handle a request from a client, but AMR audio *client* support has not yet
been funded.)

>The problem with H263-2000 is that openRTSP only supports H263-1998. I
>patched the source so that H263plusVideoRTPSource is also used in case
>of H263-2000 (I simply added another strcmp to the line in
>MediaSession.cpp).

Yes, that was the right thing to do.  It turns out that the MIME types
"video/H263-1998" and "video/H263-2000" use the same RTP payload format
(defined in RFC 2429), so "H263plusVideoRTPSource" should be able to handle
them  both.

I'll include this change in the next software release.

	Ross Finlayson
	LIVE.COM
	<http://www.live.com/>