[Live-devel] mpeg4 video multicast streaming

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Tue Dec 23 12:00:41 PST 2003

At 09:25 AM 12/23/03, you wrote:
>Hello:
>I tried to do MPEG4 video multicast streaming. on the server side I run
>testMPEG4VideoStreamer, on the client side I run MPlayer. To create the
>MPEG4 elementary video stream, I used ffmpeg and did the following:
>         ffmpeg -i test.avi -vcodec mpeg4 -f m4v test.m4v
>but the streaming doesn't work.

Frank,

Could you point me at (i.e., send the URL of) an example of one of the
"test.m4v" files that you generated this way?  (Please *don't* send it via
email, unless it's very small.)

>1. what's the MPEG4 elementary video stream

It's a file that contains MPEG-4 video data *only*.  I.e., it contains no
extra header information (except for MPEG-4 "Visual Object Sequence" or
"Visual Object" headers, which are needed).

>  and how can I generate it from my existing files like avi file?

If the video in the AVI file is already in MPEG-4 format, then I assume it
would be possible (using some tool or another) to extract a 'raw' data
track from an AVI file.  If so, you could probably get it this way.

>2. what's the right version of MPlayer I should use to player mpeg4 video
>stream? currently I am using MPlayer-0.90rc4

You should use the latest version: currently "MPlayer v1.0pre3".  Of
course, you will also need to use the "FFmpeg/libavcodec" library:
<http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/codecs.html#ffmpeg>

	Ross Finlayson
	LIVE.COM
	<http://www.live.com/>