[Live-devel] problems with streaming

LATIFZAI, EMAL (JSC-ER2) (NASA) emal.latifzai-1 at nasa.gov
Fri Apr 2 12:19:32 PST 2004

Hi,

I have been able to use live program to stream mpeg-2 video elementary
streams in a loop back to my computer and view the video.  However I finally
got to test it out on another computer (streaming from one to another) and
it seems to have lots of problems.  I put the whole live program on the
server machine and the corresponding sdp file on the client machine.  When
the program is run, the player plays about 1 or 2 seconds but then freezes.
After about 2 minutes of waiting, it then begins to play again.  I have
tried multicast as well as unicast (point to point), but got the same
result.  I tried to slow and speed up the bandwidth in the
"testMPEG1or2VideoStreamer.cpp" file and got the same result again (although
I noticed that it still streamed at the same rate no matter what I set the
bandwidth to in the above mentioned file).  I did try to stream the file
using the streaming facilities of vlc player and that worked great, so there
doesn't seem to be a problem with my network.  I noticed that by streaming
with vlc, my computer was streaming about 500-600 packets per second while
with live, my computer was streaming at a rate of about 150-200 packets per
second (again this was the same no matter how I changed the bandwidth
variable in the "testMPEG1or2VideoStreamer.cpp" file).  Has anyone run into
a problem like this before?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Emal

BTW, I'm using Windows 2000 op. system on both machines and I compiled the
code using msvc 6.0.