[Live-devel] problems with streaming

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Fri Apr 2 10:41:54 PST 2004

>I have been able to use live program to stream mpeg-2 video elementary
>streams in a loop back to my computer and view the video.  However I finally
>got to test it out on another computer (streaming from one to another) and
>it seems to have lots of problems.  I put the whole live program on the
>server machine and the corresponding sdp file on the client machine.  When
>the program is run, the player plays about 1 or 2 seconds but then freezes.
>After about 2 minutes of waiting, it then begins to play again.

Are you using the latest version (0.7.1) of VLC?  (Earlier versions had a
bug that could possibly have caused this problem.)

>  I tried to slow and speed up the bandwidth in the
>"testMPEG1or2VideoStreamer.cpp" file

Note that the "totalSessionBandwidth" variable is used only as an
*estimate* of the bandwidth - for use by RTCP.  It doesn't affect the
actual bitrate at which RTP packets are streamed.  That is determined by
the file itself.  So, changing the "totalSessionBandwidth" variable will
have no effect.

If you still have a problem even with the latest version (0.7.1) of VLC,
then please put your file online (on a web or FTP server) and post the URL,
so I can take a look at it and figure out what might be causing your problem.

	Ross Finlayson
	LIVE.COM
	<http://www.live.com/>