[Live-devel] problems with streaming

LATIFZAI, EMAL (JSC-ER2) (NASA) emal.latifzai-1 at nasa.gov
Mon Apr 5 17:08:20 PDT 2004

and
When

>>>If you still have a problem even with the latest version (0.7.1) of VLC,
>>>then please put your file online (on a web or FTP server) and post the
URL,

>>>so I can take a look at it and figure out what might be causing your
problem.

>>http://www.traclabs.com/~bwolfe/VIDEO_TS.VOB  (a mpeg2 program stream
file,
>>I tried to stream this too with testMPEG1or2AudioVideoStreamer.exe but
>>encountered the same result.)
>>For the mpeg2 video elementary stream file, I actually used the splittler
>>program to get the video elem part of the above program stream file.
>>To make sure that it was video elem. stream, I ran a program that tells me
>>exactly what kind of file it is so I'm sure it is a video elem. stream
file.
>>Thanks for the help.

>We've been here before.  See my earlier messages on this subject:
>         http://lists.live.com/pipermail/live-devel/2004-March/000406.html
>         http://lists.live.com/pipermail/live-devel/2004-March/000407.html

>To repeat: Your file is a *VOB* file, not a true MPEG Program Stream
>file.  You don't stream it using
>"testMPEG1or2AudioVideoStreamer".  Instead, use the "vobStreamer" test
>program (see
><<http://www.live.com/vobStreamer/>http://www.live.com/vobStreamer/>).

Actually I had taken note of your previous message.  However since you had
said I could use
"testMPEG1or2AudioVideoStreamer" as well as the "vobStreamer" (since the
file has no audio and is
therefore a mpeg2 program stream file), I figured it should work with the
former streamer.  And in reality it did work (kind of), except it had the
problem as mentioned above.
The video would play on the client end for 1-2sec, freeze for about 2 min,
and then begin to play again.
In addition to this, I tried other genuine video elementary files using
"testMPEG1or2VideoStreamer.exe" and
encountered the exact same problem.  I just don't have the permission to
give you access to those files.
However I figured since I am having the same problem with the above
vob/(mpeg2 ps) file, then if you could
help me find the problem with this file, I could just apply it to the other
ones and hopefully come up with
a solution.  I hope you understand; I realize the easy thing for both of us
would be for me to just give you
access to the real mpeg-2 es files I'm dealing with, but I can't.  So if you
can work with me here, I'd
appreciate it.  Also, another important point is that when I was streaming
back to my computer in a loop,
every one of the files worked, even the above VOB file with
"testMPEG1or2AudioVideoStreamer".  So I don't
believe it's the type of the file that's the problem. Give me your input
though. Thanks.

Emal

PS: Sorry for all of these emails but I forgot to mention something.  I've
tried a mpeg-1 video es as well
with "testMPEG1or2VideoStreamer.exe" and have run into the same result, it
runs, freezes, and then runs again.
So this should add even more support to my belief that it's not the type of
the file that is the problem.