[Live-devel] problems with streaming

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Mon Apr 5 17:25:41 PDT 2004

>Actually I had taken note of your previous message.  However since you had
>said I could use
>"testMPEG1or2AudioVideoStreamer" as well as the "vobStreamer" (since the
>file has no audio and is
>therefore a mpeg2 program stream file), I figured it should work with the
>former streamer.  And in reality it did work (kind of), except it had the
>problem as mentioned above.
>The video would play on the client end for 1-2sec, freeze for about 2 min,
>and then begin to play again.

I have still not been able to reproduce this.  I was again able to
successfully stream your example file from one machine - using either
"testMPEG1or2AudioVideoStreamer" or "vobStreamer" - and receive/play it on
another machine - using VLC.  I never saw the 'freezing' problem that you
mentioned.  Sorry.

>In addition to this, I tried other genuine video elementary files using
>"testMPEG1or2VideoStreamer.exe" and
>encountered the exact same problem.

FYI, I have left online an example of a working MPEG-2 Program Stream file
that you can try:
         http://www.live.com/test.mpg
(It's a 15 MByte file.  I'll leave this online for the next few days.)

Are you able to successfully stream this file using
"testMPEG1or2AudioVideoStreamer", and play it using VLC?  If not, then the
problem must be at your end somewhere.  (I assume you're using a fairly
recent version of the LIVE.COM code?)

>   I just don't have the permission to
>give you access to those files.
>However I figured since I am having the same problem with the above
>vob/(mpeg2 ps) file, then if you could
>help me find the problem with this file, I could just apply it to the other
>ones and hopefully come up with
>a solution.  I hope you understand; I realize the easy thing for both of us
>would be for me to just give you
>access to the real mpeg-2 es files I'm dealing with, but I can't.  So if you
>can work with me here, I'd
>appreciate it.  Also, another important point is that when I was streaming
>back to my computer in a loop,
>every one of the files worked, even the above VOB file with
>"testMPEG1or2AudioVideoStreamer".

Does the problem occur only if you're streaming over a network?  If so,
then are you sure you have enough network bandwidth between the sending and
receiving computers?  Your test file streams at about 7 Mbps, which means
(in practice) that 10 Mbps Ethernet won't be enough.  Nor will
802.11b.  You'll need 100 Mbps Ethernet or higher.  Perhaps your LAN has
trouble handling streams with these bitrates?

	Ross Finlayson
	LIVE.COM
	<http://www.live.com/>