[Live-devel] where to more information in the SDP File?

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Thu Apr 8 07:41:07 PDT 2004

>I have implement à streaming server based on Live testProgs. This
>prototype is implemented for research scopes. let me tell about this
>server: the server cut every video file to segments. those segments are
>not equal in size. Each segments is broadcast through one subsession.
>Currently we are about to implement the client side. The client must
>download, reorder segments and then redirect the video to the player(this
>is the last step of our work and we plan to use VLC client, any suggestion
>is welcome!!). What we want to do now is to add informations about
>segments sizes (i.e, additionnal informations to the SDP file) to the SDP
>file which will be parsed by the client. So in which SDP line we can add
>those informations.

You should do this using an "a=" line -i.e.
         a=<parameter-name>: <parameter-value>

<parameter-name> should begin with "x-", to indicate that this is just an
experimental parameter name (that you're choosing), rather than a standard
one that's defined in a RFC.

Of course, you will also need to modify your client code to recognize and
handle your special parameter name.

	Ross Finlayson
	LIVE.COM
	<http://www.live.com/>