[Live-devel] streaming WAV files...

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Fri Apr 9 04:06:57 PDT 2004

>Okay, here's the file I'm trying to stream which plays fine with a regular
>audio player but comes across the network as noise:
>
>http://www.audiolicious.com/misc/test.wav

Matt,

This file streams OK for me.  I am streaming from "testOnDemandRTSPServer"
running on FreeBSD, and playing the stream successfully on Windows (using
both VLC and QuickTime Player).

I have left my server (FreeBSD) running  at
         rtsp://66.80.62.34:7070/wavAudioTest
(I'll leave this running until at least 1700 UTC Friday.)

Are you able to play this stream successfully (using VLC and/or QuickTime
Player) on your client machines?  (Note that the stream is ~1.4 Mbps, which
is about the bandwidth of the server's Internet connection, so expect a
*lot* of packet loss.)  But you should be able to hear recognizable audio.

>Also, I mixed up big / little endian -- Macs are big endian of course.

It's still possible that endianness problems are indeed to blame for the
problems that you're seeing, because to date I have tested this only on
little-endian machines (x86s running FreeBSD and Windows).  Or perhaps the
problem is specific to MacOS X, although not endian-related???

It would be nice to try to nail down where specifically the problem is
happening (i.e., streaming from a Mac, receiving/playing on a Mac, or both).

	Ross Finlayson
	LIVE.COM
	<http://www.live.com/>