[Live-devel] send/receive via SSM

John M. Zwiebel jzwiebel at cruzio.com
Mon Apr 12 08:23:15 PDT 2004

Matt:
I don't do Ross's stuff, but I do the router code so perhaps this will
help.

The host (your receiver) has to send out an IGMPv3 host report for this
to work.  IGMP doesn't know anything about RTSP, it only knows the
source
and the group addresses.   So, I would guess that this section is really
just the IP address and that's it.

Since you're doing multicast, the receiver doesn't actually connect to
the server, but joins the multicast group through IGMP and this means
the last hop router is signaled, via IGMP, that it is suppose to add
either a (*,G) or (S,G) entry to the IGMP cache, and then the last hop
router will send a PIM join (*,G) [or (S,G) -if- your host -and- the
router support IGMPv3] toward the RP (source if IGMPv3 is supported)

FWIW: windows supports IGMPv3 in its latest incarnations, but I do not
believe any other OS does by default.  You have to build it into the
kernel.  FreeBSD requires a patch from KAME (ftp.kame.org) which is
also where you can get a patch for any *BSD except Darwin (ie, Mac
does not support IGMPv3)

So, in a long way, I told you that unless your receiver OS and
the last-hop router both support IGMPv3, you won't be able to do
SSM.

I hope this helps.