[Live-devel] send/receive via (multicast)

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Mon Apr 12 09:59:50 PDT 2004

>In the test code that receives packets, #ifdef's USE_SSM sections have a
>line for the actual source address ("aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd").
>
>Should this be the full rtsp address ("aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd:port/testStream"),
>or just the IP?

Matt,

The IP address is correct.

Note that the "testMP3Receiver" and "testMPEG1or2VideoReceiver"
applications use a 'hard-wired' IP multicast address.  This is the same
destination IP multicast address that's 'hard-wired' into the corresponding
*Streamer applications: "testMP3Streamer" and
"testMPEG1or2VideoStreamer".  (Note that these are just test programs; in a
real application you would probably want to use different IP multicast
addresses.)

(The only reason "SSM" enters into this is because SSM (source-specific
multicast) uses a different range of IP multicast addresses than 'regular'
ASM (any-source multicast) - so the hard-wired multicast addresses are
different.  That's all.  (Don't worry about trying to understand John
Zwiebel's response; it answers a *far* more complex question than the one
you really asked :-)

Now, notice that the "test*Streamer" applications also have an *optional*
built-in RTSP server.  If you enable this - by uncommenting the line
         #define IMPLEMENT_RTSP_SERVER 1
then you will also be able to play the stream using RTSP.

>I am able to use VLC to pickup an rtsp multicast stream, but am having
>trouble with my own receiver getting packets to write to a file.  It is
>clear the receiver is not connecting with the sender...

That's probably because you're not enabling the built-in RTSP server in the
*Streamer application.  If you do this, you will be able to use the
"rtsp://" URL that gets printed out.  In particular, you will be able to
use "openRTSP" to open the "rtsp://" URL, and write to a file.

	Ross Finlayson
	LIVE.COM
	<http://www.live.com/>