[Live-devel] It works!!!But multicasting performance not good.

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Wed Apr 28 18:06:00 PDT 2004

>Thank for your help. I am finally able to multicast and unicast the *.mpg
>files (mpeg 1 format) by using testMPEG1or2VideoStreamer and
>testMPEG1or2AudioVideoStreamer programs.
>Here is something I found. When I do the unicasting, the video running
>smoothly, but if I do the multicasting, the video is not smooth, kind of
>jerking a lot. I am wondering whether it's my problem for missing some
>settings. And how to make the streaming smooth when doing multicast.

What kind of network are you using?  For some networks - most notable
802.11 wireless LANs - multicast traffic can end up getting less bandwidth
than unicast (because, in 802.11, multicast traffic gets sent at the lowest
supported bitrate, unless the nodes are configured to do otherwise).  Or,
if you're using a wired LAN, then perhaps your router(s) aren't handling
multicast properly.

Apart from this, I don't know what to suggest.  Because as far as the
sender and receiver applications are concerned, RTP packets behave the same
way regardless of whether they're unicast or multicast.

	Ross Finlayson
	LIVE.COM
	<http://www.live.com/>