[Live-devel] Can this be done reasonably?

Neil Alexander nalex at hand-off.com
Tue Aug 3 15:40:50 PDT 2004

> GUI is for pussies :)

Fine, I'm a pussy.

>>> Does the requirements list above seem reasonable to do from Live?
>>> Is it necessary or easier to use the Darwin injector stuff, or can I
>>> avoid using the QTSS?
>>
>> You don't need to use a remote RTSP server (such as QTSS/Darwin),
>> because the LIVE.COM code has built-in RTSP server support.
>
> So to get back to your original goal, i'll save you the trouble of
> looking into VLC, and just give you the lowdown.
>
>> 1) Base platform to send from is Mac OSX 10.3+
> Covered (though untested with Tiger)
>
>> 2) I would like to send RTSP compliant feeds.
> VLC can do this as long as you don't do trickplay etc. It should work
> well for live streams
>
>> 3) > 1 simultaneous feed (multiple .sdp files)
> VLC can do this in the development release.
>
>> 4) I need to overlay information on each video feed (frame count,
>> clock, whatever)
> Not yet possible, but since last night a whole lot closer. A new
> picture filter system is in place that will now allow us to do this.
> It only needs to be implemented
>
>> 5) Full control over camera frame rate and resolution.
> Well and here is the big problem. VLC doesn't support QuickTime
> external sources (camera, DVB, TV) input.

Ok, I already have full control at the Sequence Grabber Level. This
question is in reaction to the problems I had using QuickTime
Broadcasting API. They interfered with each other, which is why I can't
use it.

I have full frame-by-frame control. So I should just need to subclass
some frame supplier gizmo, right? (I don't have the stuff right in
front of me). Question is, if I throttle the frame rate or data rate
back and forth, will the RTSP barf? Or does it care.

In other words, if I go from 4 fps to 15 fps for five minutes, then
back again. Do I have to restart the RTSP sessions, or will it just
handle it?

Thanks!

n at lex@h at nd-off.com