[Live-devel] Birates in Video-Streams

Eric Peters epeters at graphics.cs.uni-sb.de
Fri Aug 6 14:08:39 PDT 2004

Hallo to all,

we have the following problem. When we are streaming multicast mpeg1 or
mpeg2 files with bitrates about 2500 kbps there are on the receiver side
many artefacts in the video. We are using eg.
testMPEG1orMPEG2AudioVideoStreamer. Even we are streaming videos with
lower bitrate (800 kbps mpeg1 or mpeg2) and resolution (352x288) there
are many artefacts on the receiver side. When we set the value
/proc/sys/net/core/rmem_maxsize to 2MB the artefacts problem for lower
bitrates is solved.
We have a local network with 100Mpbs. So the bandwidth shouldn't be the
problem.
Is there anybody who has the same experience? Or should it be possible
to stream videos in dvd resolution (720x576) and bitrate (8 Mbps)?

Greetings
Eric