[Live-devel] Birates in Video-Streams

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Mon Aug 9 16:45:19 PDT 2004

>we have the following problem. When we are streaming multicast mpeg1 or
>mpeg2 files with bitrates about 2500 kbps there are on the receiver side
>many artefacts in the video. We are using eg.
>testMPEG1orMPEG2AudioVideoStreamer. Even we are streaming videos with
>lower bitrate (800 kbps mpeg1 or mpeg2) and resolution (352x288) there are
>many artefacts on the receiver side. When we set the value
>/proc/sys/net/core/rmem_maxsize to 2MB the artefacts problem for lower
>bitrates is solved.

Well, it looks like you've solved your problem: The kernel's receive buffer
for the "RTPSource" 'groupsock' needs to be sufficiently large to ensure
that incoming packet data doesn't overflow it.  (You could probably get the
same effect - within your program - by calling "increaseReceiveBufferTo()".)

	Ross Finlayson
	LIVE.COM
	<http://www.live.com/>